Tuesday, February 24, 2009

My first visit

OK, so I had my first prenatal visit this morning. I was seen by the Doctor today, but I will on Friday. All we did this morning was do a bunch of paperwork and blood tests. Fun! I'm kinda feeling a little apprehensive about how Medi-cal does their insurance. THEY ONLY COVER ONE ULTRASOUND THE ENTIRE PREGNANCY!!! Does anyone else find this to be really strange? I kind of free put off by it. They only way they will do more is if there is something wrong. I though that was something they did quite often. Am I wrong? Or is this totally lame. I'm having a hard time today because I keep thinking that when all of this is over, I know I'll have a beautiful baby that I'll love, but having an ultrasound was something I was really looking forward to enjoying in my pregnancy. Now I feel like I might not enjoy it as much. I could just be feeling emotional, but thinking about seeing my unborn baby on a screen every once in a while sounds so great to me, and now that I know I'll only get one kinda bums be out. I'll see a doctor on Friday where I will hopefully hear the heartbeat, which is great! But does anyone have any uplifting words for me? Am I wrong or maybe confused? I'm just really feeling down about this right now. Stupid government!!! It's all their fault! If it was for them, the economy wouldn't be the way it is right now and we would still have jobs and I would have real insurance! Maybe next pregnancy.

6 comments:

Stevenson and Marissa's Blog said...

Hey! Insurance is lame, even when you have "real" insurance. We had "real" insurance and still only had one ultra-sound. It is kind of dissapointing, especially when you hear of others having them all the time, but you get to hear the heart beat every time and seeing the baby once and knowing it is healthy and strong was calming for me. Seeing it again would be fun, but isn't "medically necessary." I still don't like insurance regardless. Have fun on friday hearing the heart beat!

David and Kendra Nielson said...

Sorry to hear you are disappointed. I don't know much about how Medi-cal works so I'm afraid I can't give you much insight on that. So if you only get one they must wait until later in your pregnancy? I think once you hear the heartbeat you will feel better about things. Ultrasounds are nice but hearing that little heart beat is amazing. Hang in there.

Shelley said...

I've had two kids on two different insurances and both did just one ultrasound. I know some people have them like every visit but really you only need the one unless there are concerns. Hearing the heartbeat is pretty exciting though. It made me smile every time. Good luck with everything!

The Ross Family said...

Insurance companies are all different so i can not say. But both pregnancies i only had 2 ultrasounds. I am sorry you are so bummed, just try to think of the positive...i know easier said than done!!! Love you girl

Michele said...

Our insurance covers 2, one at our initial visit, and one at 20 weeks. We actually ended up with MANY more because we did in vitro fertilization, so I had one at 7 weeks, 10 weeks, 16 weeks, 20 weeks, and then again at 30 weeks when I was put on bed rest for pre term labor. So obviously every situation is different, and because ours were considered medically necessary, they were all covered. As long as your pregnancy appears healthy, one or 2 is perfectly normal. I understand your disappointment, but really you should hope for a healthy pregnancy that doesn't require any other interventions! : ) Best of luck! Your almost a third of the way there!

Diana said...

Our insurance only covered 1 ultrasound at 20 weeks for a healthy baby. If the doctor needed another one then they covered that but we also only had 1. It still was really cool and it was awesome to see that little baby moving around in there! They did the heartbeat at every checkup though and that's really neat too. Good luck. It's just the hormones, they make you go crazy!