Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Gestational Diabetes

Yup. I have it. Most people would be so worried and freaked out, and I'm not going to lie, at first I was a little taken back. But it's not as bad as most people would think. It's only bad if you don't control it. Plus, the lady told me that my levels were only slightly elevated at the very end. So because of that, they have to treat me like a normal gestational diabetic, because if it were to get worse in the next 3 months, they wouldn't be able to catch it because they only test just this one time.
So basically I just have to watch what I eat and prick my fingers 4 times a day. The good I see in all of this?! First off, I know I can do it, it's not that hard and I know as long as I control it, Izzy will be just fine and totally normal. Second, this forces me to start eating healthy again and getting in the habit of it. I use to be totally healthy and ate nothing bad! I use to run everyday and workout all the time. I was in great shape (if I do say so myself)! So part of me is a little excited to know that this is going to force me to stay away from the junk at all times and eat like I use to. So after I have Izzy, not only will the diabetes go away, but I will already be in the habit of being a health nut again and it will be so much easier to get back into shape! I not only want that for myself, but my husband deserves it and so does our daughter. She needs a mom who has high energy and can keep up with her at all times! I can't believe I let myself get to the weight I am now, or pre-pregnancy. It grosses me out. So I'm excited! I'm sure I'll have my hard moments as this all starts, but it will get so much easier and become second nature again! So here's to going from this:

back to this (I'm on the left)!!

This isn't at my skinniest, but it was close. We were in Cancun, so we were eating all day long! I miss my Tanya.

2 comments:

Diana said...

yuck yuck yuck! Good luck and way to see the positive! They thought I had it so I had to take a second test but it turned out negative, it really did help me start eating healthier though! Hopefully everything goes ok!

Mina said...

You are a rock star! You are so good at being optimistic. I had to take the test twice as well! You will do just fine! I love to hear the updates and see pics of you and Izzy! (even though you are hiding her) Keep up the good work Mama!