Monday, June 28, 2010

Love letters

So I write this because I help a friend out with their marriage today with an idea that I didn't even think could help other people. So because this friend of mine was so excited and found that this totally help, I thought, I would share it for others to try in case it might be something fun and helpful for someone else.

OK, so when Bud and I started dating, we started writing letters to each other. Just for fun, about whatever, love letters. I ended up buying a notebook so that we could keep track of all our letters and they would be in one place. It kinda almost made us feel like kids in high school again passing notes!

You see, one of us would take the notebook home, write in it and then when we would see each other the next day, we would swap. It sounds so cheesy, but it was actually really exciting. We would talk about everything in person, but writing to each other was just another way of communicating and it made us even closer.
We obviously don't do it everyday anymore, but we do still do it from time to time. But now, they are kinda a little more then love letters.

You see, Bud and I are both stubborn people and at the beginning of our marraige, our arguements seemed to not really get very far (as far as resolving goes). There were times that either of us (mostly me) didn't feel heard. So, I would walk away and grab the notebook. This was not only a stress release for me (because I love to write), but it also gave me a chance to really think of the right words to say and get my point across without being interupted. This was very healthy for us because I won't ever write anything I would regret or not mean (unlike sometimes when you are so angry and sometimes speak things you don't mean).

These letters weren't just filled with my point of view on how I felt, but was also very positive reinforcement on how much I love him and all the things I love about him. I made sure to make him feel so loved and wanted. Because that is the truth.
This really helped us with a lot of things. It helped us to move apart when arguing and take a breather, then reconnect and resolve things in a mature manner.

At this current time, we haven't written letters in a while. Mostly because it has taugh us to talk and act differently with each other. That also comes with being married for a while and learning when to pick your battles, and also with making Christ number one. We are not at all perfect, but we have found a lot fun and surprising help with writting to each other.

Not only is it helpful, but we've found it to be really fun and exciting. Writing love letters is a totally different way to talk with one another. It gives us a chance to tell each other things that might sound really cheesy to say out loud. Or to say things that you haven't in a while. Plus it's so private and intamate.

I had a chance to help a friend out today with this idea. He didn't know what to do because he and his wife had just stopped talking. They just never talked about anything anymore. So I told him to try that because it's a way to open new gates. He sat down right then and wrote 5 pages to his wife. He sent me a message later thanking me for such a brilliant idea. He said "IT WORKED" "She LOVED it"!

I was so happy to be able to help out a marriage, that I thought I'd post it one here. A fun way to reconnect or start a new spark. So if you and your special someone need something new to do, or want to surprise them with something or need help with fixing the arguing problem, cause let's all face it, it happens. I don't care how perfect you think you are! Try it out! Might be more fun then you think!

No comments: